Brian Wienk, PT, ScD, MS, COMT, OCS
Assistant Director of Clinical Education, Assistant Professor, Doctor of Physical Therapy* program
Department: Department of Physical Therapy
- Doctor of Science (ScD), Physical Therapy, Texas Tech University
- Associate, Theology, Yankton College
- Master of Science (MS), Physical Therapy, University of South Dakota
- Bachelor of Science (BS), Physical Therapy, Augustana College
- APTA Advanced Credentialed Clinical Instructor
- Certified Orthopedic Manual Therapist in the Spine, International Academy of Orthopedic Medicine (COMT)
- Board Certified Orthopedic Specialist (OCS)
- SASTM Method of Instrument Assisted Soft Tissue Mobilization
Brian Wienk, PT, ScD, COMT joined the team at Briar Cliff University in 2016 as the Assistant Professor of Physical Therapy. He serves as Participate in Clinical and Community-Based Correlation Courses, and Chair of the Awards and Leadership Committee.
Over the years, Dr. Wienk has served the profession of physical therapy through various professional activities. He has been a member of the American Physical Therapy Association (APTA) and South Dakota Physical Therapy Association (SDPTA) since 1992. He was a member of the APTA House of Delegates from 1998-2001. For the SDPTA, he was a delegate in 1999 and a chief delegate in 1998, 2000, and 2001. He was also a member of the PT PTAC Committee from 2009-2010, Public Relations Committee from 2006-2009, and Ethics Committee from 1996-1998. Dr. Wienk was named the Physical Therapist of the Year in 2011 by the SDPTA. In 2009, he was named the University of South Dakota Clinical Instructor of the Year. Dr. Wienk was also part of the Emerging Leaders Program at Avera McKennan from 2005-2006.
In 2005, Dr. Wienk began a career in academia as adjunct faculty for the University of South Dakota’s Physical Therapy program. Through this opportunity he taught courses including Physical Therapy Examination and Musculoskeletal Physical Therapy. His responsibilities included teaching goniometry and manual muscle testing along with examination and treatment of the thoracic spine, ribs, sacroiliac joint, and pelvis. Dr. Wienk was a CPR Instructor from 2006-2016 for the American Heart Association. Not only does Dr. Wienk have experience in the classroom, but he also has experience educating students in the clinic setting as a full time clinical instructor since 1995.
Throughout his professional career, Dr. Wienk has remained contemporary in his practice through regular continuing education. The majority of Dr. Wienk’s continuing education hours have been focused on orthopedics and the spine, as these are his specialty areas. He became a Certified Orthopedic Manual Therapist in the Spine through the International Academy of Orthopedic Medicine (IAOM) in 2005. He is also certified in SASTM Method of Instrument Assisted Soft tissue mobilization, CPR, and Precision Nutrition.
In addition to his physical therapy related roles and responsibilities, Dr. Wienk serves his community through various opportunities. He remains active in his church, serving on boards and committees. He participates in pro bono service at Avera Downtown Clinic, mentoring families for Community Outreach, and mentoring inmates. He also promotes the profession of physical therapy through a variety of presentations to individuals including elementary students, nurses, physicians, physical therapists, church groups and others. He has been featured on a variety of medical interviews for local television and written publications on topics of back health, winter safety, backpack recommendations, and injury prevention.
Osborn RW, Wienk BA. Does closed kinetic chain exercise improve quadriceps strength: a systematic review of the literature? Pivotal IDE study of the DIAM spinal stabilization system in the treatment of lumbar degenerative disc disease. 2007. In conjunction with Orthopedic Institute and Avera McKennan Hospital.
Awards & Honors
- South Dakota Physical Therapy Association: Physical Therapist of the Year, 2011
- Nominated for USD Alumni Achievement Award, 2011
- University of South Dakota Clinical Instructor of the Year, 2009
- Key Note Speaker for USD Physical Therapy Doctoring Ceremony, 2008, 2011, 2012
- Key Note Speaker for USD Physical Therapy Hooding Ceremony, 2006
- Emerging Leaders Program at Avera McKennan, 2005-2006