Professor of Music
Department: Department of Music
Office Location: Heelan Hall Room 183
- D.M.A., University of Iowa
- M.M., Piano Performance, Eastman School of Music
- B.M., Piano Performance, University of Colorado.
- Postdoctoral Work: French Piano Institute, Paris, France.
Dr. Richard Steinbach has been a Professor of Music at Briar Cliff University since 1980. He holds degrees in piano performance from the University of Colorado, the Eastman School of Music, and the Doctorate of Musical Arts from the University of Iowa. Post-doctoral work includes study and master classes with Dominique Merlet, Noel Lee, Roy Howat, Pascal Devoyon, Dorothy Taubman and John Bloomfield.
Steinbach performed his solo debut recital at Carnegie Hall in New York on June 12, 2015. Steinbach’s Carnegie Hall debut featured the premiere of his seventh CD titled FUSION: New Music for a New Age, and was the culminating event for the international “Fusion Project” that Steinbach launched in 2013. Dr. Steinbach has performed extensively as both soloist and collaborative artist in concerts throughout the United States, Canada, France, Italy, Great Britain, South America (Argentina, Brazil, Colombia, Ecuador, Peru), Honduras, New Zealand, Jamaica, South Korea, Japan and The People’s Republic of China. As the grand prizewinner in the France Piano International Competition, he performed his solo debut recital at the Salle Cortot in Paris in January 1996.
- – New Music For A New Age." Blue Griffin Recording, Released at Carnegie Recital Hall, June 12, 2015.
- "Christmas Spirit," Towerhill Recordings, TH-72030 (2012)
- "Rhapsody in Blue — and Other American Favorites." Towerhill Recordings, TH-72015 (2006)
- "Richard Steinbach Live." Towerhill Recordings, RSP-1859 (2003)
- "Gran Danzón" with Martha Councell-Vargas, Flute, Blue Griffin Recording, BGR-307 (2013)
- Piano Duo – with Howard Helvey, Piano, Towerhill Recordings, TH-72005 (2006)
- "Though Love be a Day – American Songs at the Dawn of a New Millennium," Innova Recordings, Innova-529 (1999)
Awards & Honors
SELECT AWARDS & HONORS
- M.A. Martin Everist Foundation Artist-in-Residence, 2016.
- Carnegie Hall Performance, "FUSION — New Music For a New Age," Carnegie Recital Hall (New York City), June 12, 2015.
- Grand Prizewinner, France Piano International Competition, Paris, France. 1995.