More About the Program
A Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) is the most desired credential in health care today. Briar Cliff has been creating, educating, and preparing generations of caring and committed nurses.
The Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN), the Master of Science in Nursing (MSN), the Post-Graduate APRN Certificate and the Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) programs at Briar Cliff University are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education. All BCU nursing programs are approved by the Iowa Board of Nursing and meet the state educational requirements for licensure in the state of Iowa.
The Briar Cliff University Department of Nursing has an upper division BSN program for students who are not already registered nurses (pre-licensure program). This program leads to eligibility to take the NCLEX-RN licensure examination for registered nurses. A 2.75 Cumulative GPA (CGPA) is required for admission, progression, and graduation with the BSN degree. Students are charged laboratory fees to cover the cost of clinical supplies.
The Mission of the Department of Nursing at Briar Cliff University is to educate bachelor and graduate prepared nurses to promote health, healing, and hope of persons, through advocating for social justice within the community. Foundational to this mission is organic integration of faith, learning, and service.
The vision of the Department of Nursing at Briar Cliff University is to:
- Foster holistic personal and professional development through life-long learning.
- Prepare nurses who engage in reflective practice related to health and quality of life in a variety of health care settings.
- Develop nurses who participate in ethical decision making focusing on health equity and improving quality of life.
- Provide a foundation for critical thinking and for the development, integration, and evaluation of new or expanded knowledge into practice.
- Prepare nursing leaders and mentors for a rapidly changing healthcare system.
- Enhance collaborative partnerships with other health care, educational, faith based, and social service providers and the public at large.
Foundational to this mission is an organic integration of faith, learning, and service and is lived in relationship as the faculty and students develop and continue collaborative partnerships with other health-care, educational, faith-based, and social service providers and the public at large.
- Upon admission, all students are required to sign and adhere to the Technical Standards.
- Documentation of physical health status must be obtained upon admission to the nursing major. Required immunizations include:
- Hepatitis B vaccination (or signed waiver on file). An annual Mantoux test.
- A second MMR if born after 1957.Proof of Varicella immunity if born after 1965 (either a positive titre or proof of a series of two immunizations and an annual influenza immunization).
- Annual seasonal influenza vaccination.
- Students also must maintain basic CPR certification throughout the program. In addition, students must have a criminal background check completed through the vendor selected by the Department of Nursing.
- For additional requirements and curriculum information, download the latest University academic catalog.
|Frequently Asked Questions
Q:Do I qualify for financial aid?
A: U.S. citizens and eligible noncitizens are eligible to apply for Federal Financial Aid through BCU. Degree-seeking students should complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). This one application completes applications for the Iowa Tuition Grant and Federal Direct loan funds as well.
Q: What nursing programs does Briar Cliff University offer?
A: Briar Cliff University was the first college in the area to offer nursing degrees from a bachelor's all the way up to a Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP).
Q: Do I need to be certified as a Nursing Assistant (CNA) to be accepted into the nursing program?
A: No, it is not a requirement. However, many students find it beneficial to obtain their certification and work as a CNA throughout nursing school.
Q: When can I apply to the Nursing major?
A: Current Briar Cliff University students apply in the spring semester of their sophomore year, once they have met all the application criteria. If you are interested in transferring to BCU, you can contact us to obtain an application.
Q: Can I transfer in nursing courses?
A: No, we do not accept nursing courses completed at another school, but please contact us for further information.
Q: How can I see if courses I took at another college will transfer to Briar Cliff University?
A: If you send your transcript(s) to the Admissions team, they will process it and notify you with which courses will transfer to Briar Cliff. They will also communicate with the Nursing Department and a faculty member will contact you to discuss options.
Q: How much does it cost to attend Briar Cliff?
A: Find more information on the cost of attendance for an undergraduate degree by clicking here.
The Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN), the Master of Science in Nursing (MSN), the Post-Graduate APRN Certificate, and the Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) programs at Briar Cliff University are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). All BCU nursing programs are approved by the Iowa Board of Nursing and meet the state educational requirements for licensure in the state of Iowa.
- All graduates of our accredited pre-licensure BSN program are eligible to take the national licensing exam (NCLEX) in the state of their choice. Completion of the BSN following licensure as an RN does not lead to additional licensure
- BCU has not made a determination that its MSN and Post-Graduate APRN certificate curricula meet the educational requirements for any other states. Students from other states are encouraged to contact their state licensing boards to determine if the program meets the educational requirements for licensure in that state, by checking each state's licensing board.
- Completion of the DNP program does not lead to additional licensure.
- Nurse Educating
- Nurse Manager / Chief Nursing Officer (CNO) / Director of Nursing / Nurse Administrator
- Case Management Nurse
- School Nurse / Travel Nurse / Flight Nurse / Midwife
- Forensic Nurse / Insurance Company
- Pharmaceutical Assistant
- Hospice Professional
- Nurse Practitioner (MSN) Pathway
- Doctor of Nursing (DNP) Pathway
- Physician Assistant (PA) Pathway
Meet the Faculty