Briar Cliff Recognizes Nursing Majors, White Coat Recipients
May 12, 2022
Briar Cliff University’s Department of Nursing recognized over 75 nursing majors and nurse practitioners on May 12 during the Nursing Celebration Ceremony, held in the Chapel of Our Lady of Grace on campus.
Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) graduates formally received a pin and their hood from nursing faculty members, signifying the completion of a graduate degree. Among honored graduate students at the ceremony were the following:
- Family Nurse Practitioners: Monique Bailey; Hannah Blankespoor; Dakota Bremser; Brittany Bremser; Taylor Ehlert; Carrie Ensz; Kendra Goeden; Rana Harris; Piet Koene; Lisa Layne; Jessica Leeds; Kylee LeFebvre; Shahad Murad-Beck; Ashley Nicola; Phil Olinger; Amberlee Peterson; Hillary Porter; LaRessa Ryan; Katlyn Schweder; Samantha Skowron; Heather Stehr; Jenna Weyen; and Deena Zadow
- Adult/Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner: Breanna Vantiger
- Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner: Alexis Albrecht; Susan Herberg; Scott Smith; Uchenna Ukoha; and Melissa Watchorn
- Post Master’s APRN Certificate Family Nurse Practitioner: Andrew Crowther; Tasha Jennings; Tammy Johnson; and Rebecca Mooney
Bachelor of Science in Nursing graduates formally received a pin from nursing faculty members, signifying their completion of the undergraduate program. Among honored undergraduate students include:
- Baccalaureate Candidates: Kalena Asbill; Mackenzie Buessing; Lynn Bui; Olivia Eckels; Maureen Imrie; Kenna Larosee; Katelyn Lewis; Alicia Perez; Jules Reed; Kaitlyn Tooley; Samantha Zeleny; LeighAnne Bohlken, RN; Anacristina Castillo, RN; Karla Copple, RN; Deynty Cruz, RN; Caitlynn Fedders, RN; Yesenia Ford, RN; Elizabeth Harkness, RN; Michelle Huseman, RN; Michele Kinnersley, RN; Stephanie Lippens, RN; Kelcey Longwell, RN; Tiffany Manley, RN; Victoria Merchant, RN; Maria Perez, RN; Jared Schmitz, RN; Angel Smith, RN; and Jill Viereck, RN
Undergraduate sophomore students making a commitment to the profession of nursing were also recognized, including:
- Incoming Pre-licensure Candidates: Kathryn Baker; Robert Breen; Madison Burge; Lesley Chavez; Josh De La Cruz; Jesus Escalante; MaKenzie Gunn; Payton Hilts; Jarso Kabeto; Sage Lagud; Michaela Lange; Kirsten Martinez; Veronica Pitzl; Peyton Preston; and Danielle Whaley
Also recognized, alumnae Jennifer Milby, FNPC, Hawarden Regional Healthcare as the Preceptor of the Year, a critical role in navigating student supervision and learning during clinical rotations.
The keynote speaker for the event was Mona Scaletta, RN, BSN. A graduate of St. Joseph’s Mercy School of Nursing in 1978, her forty-year nursing career began on the orthopedic floor at what was then Marian Health Center-South Unit (Formerly St. Vincent’s Hospital). Following a career change to public health, she furthered her education and graduated in 1990 from Briar Cliff College with a Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree. After many years within public health and multiple nursing roles, titles, and responsibilities, she retired in 2018.