Briar Cliff University Recognizes Employees with Service Awards
May 13, 2022
Briar Cliff University proudly recognized employees during a ceremony on May 13 in the St. Francis Center on campus. The following awards and recipients were announced:
- Dr. Brian Hazlett, Professor of Biology, received the Bonaventure Award. This award is given to an employee who works to advance and achieve the integration of student curricular and co-curricular experiences through the establishment of learning communities, collaborative ventures, and/or other activities that promote the attainment of a holistic education.
- Erin Cron, former Director of the Compass, received the Clare Diversity Award. This award is given to an employee who has demonstrated through positive interactions with others, a respect and value for differing backgrounds and points of view along with efforts to foster a more inclusive and equitable learning and work environment within the university community.
- Shane LaDage, Head Football Coach, received the Community Impact Award. This award is given to an employee who has contributed greatly to the achievement of the university’s outreach mission by undertaking efforts that are meaningful and responsive to the community interest, needs and that reflect positively on the university as a whole, with substantive impact and long-term significance for the larger community and Briar Cliff’s place in it.
- Dr. Eric Juhnke, Chair and Professor of History, received the Distinguished Faculty Scholar Award. This award is presented to a faculty member who has demonstrated outstanding scholarship in one or more of the following areas: teaching, research, service to the university, creative work, community-based application of knowledge, and/or the integration and synthesis of knowledge.
- Cyndi Wagner, Executive Administrative Assistant to the Vice President for Academic and Student Affairs, received the Distinguished Staff Award. This award is given to a staff member who has demonstrated over time extraordinary and consistent commitment to his or her responsibilities.
- Timothy Click, Assistant Professor of Chemistry, received the Emerging Faculty Scholar Award. This award is awarded to a faculty member who has taught at Briar Cliff for five years or less and has demonstrated outstanding scholarship in one or more of the following areas: teaching, research, creative work, community-based application of knowledge, and the integration and synthesis of knowledge.
- Cortni Krusemark, Founding Program Director of the Doctor of Occupational Therapy Program, received the Innovation Award. This award is presented to an employee who has demonstrated creativity, a deep understanding of the levels and barriers in high education and offered a new or improved approach or opportunity related to innovative education, and as a result, made the university a better place.
- Kristy Sandman, Assistant Athletic Director, received the Paul and Frances Duff Pursuit of Excellence Award. This award is given annually to the person who demonstrates extraordinary commitment to improving our institutional quality, who constantly seeks to actualize talents and gifts, who displays integrity by committing personal energy to the fullest development of her or his God-given gifts, who recognizes the importance of faith and unselfish service, and who is a great credit to Briar Cliff University.
In addition, employees were honored for their milestones in years of service to Briar Cliff. Representing 295 years of service, include:
- 5 years: Maria Cancino, Coordinator, Academic Navigation; Amy Derby, Director of Philanthropy; Brenda Garcia, Housekeeping Supervisor; Randal Gaul, Security; Larry Guynn, Security; Dr. David Hoferer, Chair and Professor of Biology; Dr. Rachelle Keck, President; Kristy Sandman, Assistant Athletic Director; Anne Schaffer, Assistant Director, Admissions; Janine Sonichsen, Administrative Assistant, Student Support Services; and Dr. Brian Wienk, Associate Professor of Physical Therapy.
- 10 years: Travis Anderson, Information Technology Help Desk Manager; Lavonne Long, Housekeeping; and Mark Svagera, Head Coach, Men’s Basketball.
- 15 years: Dr. Todd Knealing, Vice President for Academic and Student Affairs, and Dr. Richard Petersen, Associate Professor of Nursing.
- 20 years: David Arens, Director of Campus Life and Safety, and Dr. Eric Juhnke, Chair and Professor of History.
- 25 years: Deidre Engel, Registrar; Rose Molacek, Enrollment Coordinator of Online Undergraduate and Graduate Health Science Degrees; and Mark Rossi, Chair and Professor of Business Administration.
- 30 years: Carla Grey, Academic Counselor, Student Support Services.
- 35 years: Dr. Patricia Currans-Sheehan, Professor of Modern Languages.