Hello campus community,
I hope you all had a wonderful holiday weekend, filled with opportunities to celebrate our nation, spend time with loved ones, and take time to rest. As I embark on my new role as Interim President of Briar Cliff University, I wanted to take a moment to connect and share what I hope to accomplish in the next year, and beyond.
Throughout my time at The Cliff, the sense of community and support has been unwavering. Not only has this been my experience, it is also a consistent message I hear from those I meet. So, what does this mean? To me, it means:
- Our Catholic Franciscan vision, mission, and values. These shine through our interactions each and every day. It is every organization’s goal to embody their vision, mission, and values, and I am so encouraged by our connection to these in the work and learning taking place on our campus.
- Our employees. Your dedication to supporting our students and each other is so inspiring. Thank you for what you do to help make Briar Cliff University so special.
- Our students. Between balancing schedules of academics, campus organizations and activities, athletic, work, volunteerism, and so much more, you continue to show your dedication to becoming the best you can be. Your impact will extend beyond your time at Briar Cliff, as an alumnus serving our communities.
- The Siouxland community. What an incredible place to live, work, and play. Siouxland continues to support the opportunities of advancing the University, and providing a home to so many of our employees and students.
- Our donors and friends. From time, talent, and treasures, Briar Cliff’s donors and friends strengthen the opportunities provided to our students. We are so grateful to them in their supporting in allowing us to grow and thrive.
Within this next year, I hope to continue to support and strengthen the community that has been built here at Briar Cliff. We are entering in a time of transition, which can be filled with opportunities and excitement. I hope to have your support in the following key initiatives:
- Maintain momentum in the BCU BEST Strategic Plan and prepare for Briar Cliff’s next strategic plan. The BCU BEST Strategic Plan will end in the Spring of 2024, however, our work will not be done. Many of the key initiatives or priorities will flow to the next strategic plan, which will take roughly 18 months to develop. Initial coordination for the next Strategic Plan has begun, with more information to be provided in the Fall of 2022.
- Prepare for campus improvements, progress, and growth. The Board of Trustees are in the process of reviewing and improving a campus-wide facility master plan. Various initiatives have already been approved, with a goal of impacting all areas on campus in future phases.
- Grow Briar Cliff’s connections and reach. To accomplish the opportunities ahead of the University, we will look to grow and expand our connections throughout the nation.
- Maintain strong financial performance. With my financial background, our financial performance will continue to be one of my greatest areas of interest and passion. We have made incredible progress over the years – and I am confident in our continued growth.
Briar Cliff University has a longstanding reputation and tradition of service, caring, and openness to all. I hope to embody these values as I help lead this very special place. Thank you for entrusting me with this opportunity.
Dr. Patrick Jacobson-Schulte, DBA
Briar Cliff University