Cleaning Services | General Upkeep | Laundry Services
As a part of Facilities Services, Housekeepers are responsible for a broad set of cleaning services and general upkeep in and around BCU facilities. The majority of the work focuses on inside services; however, on a seasonal basis expectation could include responsibilities such as clearing entrances to buildings and power washing exterior surfaces. In addition, laundry services, along with laundering cleaning rags, dust mops, etc. for custodial use.
- Performs regular cleaning of floors, walls, counters, windows, classroom boards, skylights, restrooms and building exteriors, according to established standards. Periodically deep cleans hard surface floors and carpeted floors.
- Cleans and disinfects all fixtures and surfaces in restrooms, locker rooms and shower facilities, as well as all drinking fountains. As needed, resolves problems such as plugged toilets, sinks, and floor drains. May perform preventive maintenance on drains, traps and water filters.
- Uses industrial vacuum cleaners, buffers, extractors, auto scrubbers, shampooers, and other assigned equipment. Cleans equipment after use, including emptying bags and fluid tanks in preparation for subsequent use. Reports problems and deficiencies including any safety issues in facilities and maintenance equipment to lead and/or supervisor. Returns tools, equipment and supplies to designated areas.
- Fills paper product dispensers in restrooms and other designated areas. Empties and cleans trash receptacles, pencil sharpeners, ash cans and recycling containers.
- Cleans spills as needed, including body fluids with exposure to blood borne pathogens.
- Adheres to security procedures in opening and locking facilities and arming and disarming intrusion alarms.
- Launders cleaning supplies (rags, dust mops, etc.) used by the Custodial staff.
- May replace light bulbs and diffusers in fixtures. May do minor maintenance on general purpose classroom furniture.
- Responds immediately during shift hours to requests by campus staff or administration for any emergency which may require minor maintenance.
- In the event of unscheduled closures due to weather events and/or other circumstances, custodial staff is considered “essential personnel” for reopening the college.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or GED
- Six months of Housekeeper experience
- Experience in standard custodial practices, procedures and techniques in an organization with extended hours of operation and multiple high-traffic areas is preferred
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES, and ATTITUDES - KSAA's:
- Use and potential hazards of cleaning agents including solvents, disinfectants, detergents, and polishing agents.
- Tools and equipment commonly used in custodial work.
- Standard custodial practices, procedures, and techniques.
- Using a computer to perform basic operations.
- Operating floor scrubbing machines, carpet shampooing equipment and high-speed floor polishing equipment.
- Able to work and communicate effectively with diverse academic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students and staff.
- Exercise considerable judgment and initiative.
- Follow protocols and escalate as needed.
- Understand and follow broad and complex instructions.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to walk. The employee is occasionally required to stand and reach with hands and arms.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25-50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Temperature is usually conditioned and moderate but may vary from extreme cold to extreme heat when working outside
Briar Cliff University is an equal opportunity employer.