- Section Navigation
- POST-MASTER'S NURSE PRACTITIONER CERTIFICATE LINKS
- Program Overview
- Steps to Enroll
- Tuition & Fees
- Financial Aid
- Student Outcomes
- DEPARTMENT OF NURSING
- Our Mission
- Purpose & Philosophy
- Become a Preceptor
- HELPFUL LINKS
- Online Learning Readiness Assessment
- Required Technology
- Handbooks & Manuals
- Order Books
- Contact Us
Do you already have your Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) degree, and want to go into an advanced practice nurse practitioner role? Enroll in our online Post-Graduate APRN Certificate program, and be eligible to take the certification exam for advanced practice in just two years.
Choose a program track.
Family Nurse Practitioner: Become qualified to treat patients in primary care that extend across all age spans. (25 credit hours)
Students who successfully complete the program are eligible to sit for the Family Nurse Practitioner certification exam offered by the ANCC and AANP.
Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (PMHNP): Care for individuals across the lifespan with psychiatric mental health conditions and diseases. (23 credit hours)
Students who successfully complete the program are eligible to sit for the certification exam offered by the ANCC.
Adult/Gerontology Nurse Practitioner: Practice primary care in multiple settings, caring for adults and the aging population. (22 credit hours)
Students who successfully complete the program are eligible to sit for the Adult Geriatric Primary Care Nurse Practitioner certification exam offered by the ANCC and AANP.
Join a tradition of nursing excellence.
The Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN), the Master of Science in Nursing (MSN), the Post-Graduate APRN Certificate and the Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) programs at Briar Cliff University are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education. All BCU nursing programs are approved by the Iowa Board of Nursing and meet the state educational requirements for licensure in the state of Iowa*.
From our founding as a women's college in 1930 to the evolution of our highly sought online and graduate nursing degrees, at Briar Cliff we've been educating the region's most committed nurses for generations.
How does the certificate program work?
- MSN in hand. You must have your Master of Science in Nursing degree in order to be eligible to enter the program.
- Convenient, online courses. If all of your pre-requisites are already completed, the certificate programs are only 2 years and all course work is online.
- Clinicals with impact. We’ll work with you to find clinical preceptors close to home, at places where you can truly make a difference. The 600-hour clinical component also includes an experience in a rural, underserved or multicultural setting — where you’ll help provide primary care to those who need it most.
- Caring, veteran faculty mentors. Who says an online program can’t be personal? Our instructors have decades of teaching and professional experience, and they’ll be with you at every step — never more than an email, phone call or video chat away!
Get started today.
Have any questions or concerns? We're always here to guide you through the admissions process!
*BCU has not made a determination that its MSN and Post-Graduate APRN certificate curricula meet the educational requirements for any other states. Students from other states are encouraged to contact their state licensing boards to determine if the program meets the educational requirements for licensure in that state. A link to each state’s licensing board and their contact information is located here: https://publish.smartsheet.com/f09beb91e1ef4e31980126505e1a4b81