- Section Navigation
- ACADEMICS AT BRIAR CLIFF
- Degrees & Programs
- Online Programs
- Academic Departments
- Travel & Study Abroad
- Professional Workshops
- Honors Program
- Academic Support
- ACADEMIC RESOURCES
- Graduation & Commencement
- Academic Calendar
- Academic Catalog
- Course Schedule
Spanish Teaching Program
Degree Type: Teaching Endorsement — Program Overview
The Spanish teaching endorsement for secondary education majors is designed to develop students' listening, verbal, writing and reading skills in Spanish; along with their ability to instruct those skills in a 9-12 classroom setting.
Upon graduation, Spanish majors will have:
- Developed reading, writing, speaking and listening skills at the Intermediate High/Advanced Low level in Spanish, according to the American Council on Teaching Foreign Languages (ACTFL) guidelines.
- A broad understanding of the cultural, literary and linguistic contributions of the Spanish speaking world.
- Solid understanding of career options for Spanish degree recipients.
- A high development of skills that translate directly into a work or postgraduate environment such as research, collaborative work, critical thinking, public speaking and technological awareness.
- Outstanding preparation in the Five C’s of Language Learning: Communication, Cultures, Connections, Comparisons, and Communities.
— Nothing scheduled —
- Phil Hey Reading Series: Alumni Voices
“Now that I’m in a graduate program for writing, I’m realizing now more than ever how outstanding the Modern Languages department is,” says Melanie. “My time as an English major at Briar Cliff gave me the foundation I needed to hit the ground running.”
English and Music