Medical Laboratory Science
Bachelor of Science
The purpose of the medical laboratory science major is to provide students who wish to become medical laboratory scientists a broad liberal arts background which they can take advantage of throughout their professional careers.
The program consists of three years of academic coursework on the campus of Briar Cliff University, followed by a clinical year at one of a variety of medical laboratory science programs approved by the American Medical Association. Students who are beginning their junior year will be applying for admission to these programs. The clinical year of such programs is credited as one year of academic work at Briar Cliff University (31 semester hours).
The successful completion of the clinical portion of the program results in the awarding of the baccalaureate degree. Representative courses in the clinical year are:
- Clinical Microscopy/Urinalysis
- Clinical Hematology/Coagulation
- Clinical Microbiology
- Clinical Serology/Immunology
- Clinical Chemistry
- Clinical Immunohematology
- Orientation to Medical Laboratory Science
- Management and Supervision/Education/Methodologies/Introduction to Research