Perform General Maintenance Duties | Electrical, Mechanical, Carpentry, Construction, Repair, Landscaping
Under general supervision, performs a variety of general maintenance duties which include electrical, mechanical, carpentry, and construction in the maintenance and repair of college facilities and equipment, grounds keeping and landscaping.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Inspect buildings, grounds, and equipment to ensure safe, well-maintained conditions, identify hazards, defects, and the need for adjustment or repair.
- Perform minor troubleshooting and repairs of electrical components such as: replace light bulbs, ballasts, and fuses.
- Assist with preventive maintenance and troubleshooting on HVAC system, changing filters, bearings.
- Complete maintenance work orders as assigned and in a timely manner.
- Identify and perform basic service and repair on plumbing fixtures.
- Identify and assist with carpentry and repair work.
- Operate a variety of machinery, equipment and tools including saws, router, drills, sanders, planers, drill presses and various hand tools.
- Maintain inventory of tools, supplies, and equipment; recommend tools, supplies, and equipment for purchase.
- Perform a variety of locksmith duties; install, repair, and replace locks on doors.
- Assist with snow removal.
- Perform tasks associated with groundskeeping and landscaping.
- Perform periodic maintenance of lawn equipment and vehicles.
- Assist with moving loading, unloading, and storing supplies, furniture, and equipment.
- Respond to 24-hour emergency calls.
- Adjustment of hours and/or weekend work may be required and/or occasional overtime.
- Perform assigned responsibilities, duties, and tasks according to established practices, procedures, techniques, and standards in a safe manner and with minimal supervision.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, and LICENSES/CERTIFICATIONS:
- Completion of high school/GED
- Three years related maintenance work experience preferred
- Second class boiler license desirable
DESIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Thorough knowledge of proper safety techniques and procedures while using chemicals, power tools, hand tools and equipment.
- Knowledge of proper lifting techniques.
- Ability to operate heavy equipment.
- Understanding of methods, techniques, materials, tools, and equipment used in maintenance, repair, and electrical work.
- Ability to properly perform basic welding.
- Ability to use required tools and equipment skillfully and safely, understanding of building codes.
Occasionally required to sit. Frequently must squat, stoop, or kneel, reach above the head and reach forward. Daily uses hand strength to grasp tools, supplies and equipment. Occasionally climbs ladders. Frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds.
Regularly works indoors and outdoors. Occasionally work with toxic or caustic chemicals such as petroleum products, degreasers, and sprays. Frequently exposed to risk of electrical shock, mechanical hazards, explosive hazards, burn hazards, chemical hazards. Meet deadlines with severe time constraints. Moderate noise level. Frequently exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; fumes or airborne particles; outside weather conditions; extreme cold; extreme heat.
Briar Cliff University is an equal opportunity employer.
Back to Careers | More About Our Benefits