Electrical | Mechanical | Construction & Repair
Under general supervision, performs a variety of general maintenance duties which include electrical, mechanical, carpentry, and construction in the maintenance and repair of college facilities and equipment.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, and LICENSES/CERTIFICATIONS
- Completion of high school/GED
- Three years related maintenance work experience
ESSENTIAL DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Inspect buildings, electrical systems, grounds, and equipment to ensure safe, well-maintained conditions, identify hazards, defects, and the need for adjustment or repair.
- Perform minor troubleshooting and repairs; replace light bulbs, ballasts, and fuses.
- Assist with preventive maintenance and troubleshooting on HVAC system, changing filters, bearings.
- Complete maintenance work orders as assigned and in a timely manner.
- Identify and perform basic service and repair on plumbing fixtures.
- Identify and assist with carpentry and repair work.
- Operate a variety of machinery, equipment and tools including saws, router, drills, sanders, planers, drill presses and various hand tools.
- Maintain inventory of tools, supplies, and equipment; recommend tools, supplies, and equipment for purchase.
- Perform a variety of locksmith duties; install, repair, and replace locks on doors.
- Assist with snow removal.
- Perform periodic maintenance of lawn equipment and vehicles.
- Assist with moving loading, unloading, and storing supplies, furniture, and equipment.
- Respond to 24-hour emergency calls.
- Adjustment of hours and/or weekend work may be required and/or occasional overtime.
- Perform assigned responsibilities, duties, and tasks according to established practices, procedures, techniques, and standards in a safe manner and with minimal supervision.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, and ABILITIES
- Thorough knowledge of proper safety techniques and procedures while using chemicals, power tools, hand tools and equipment
- Knowledge of proper lifting techniques
- Ability to operate heavy equipment
- Understanding of methods, techniques, materials, tools, and equipment used in maintenance, repair, and electrical work
- Ability to properly perform basic welding
- Ability to use required tools and equipment skillfully and safely, understanding of building codes
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential tasks of this job.) Regularly required to stand, walk, use hands and fingers to handle or feel objects, tools, or controls; and talk or hear. Occasionally required to sit. Frequently must squat, stoop, or kneel, reach above the head and reach forward. Daily uses hand strength to grasp tools, supplies and equipment. Occasionally climbs ladders. Frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Regularly works indoors and outdoors. Occasionally work with toxic or caustic chemicals such as petroleum products, degreasers, and sprays. Frequently exposed to risk of electrical shock, mechanical hazards, explosive hazards, burn hazards, chemical hazards. Meet deadlines with severe time constraints. Moderate noise level. Frequently exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; fumes or airborne particles; outside weather conditions; extreme cold; extreme heat.
Briar Cliff University is an equal opportunity employer.