Assistant Professor of History
Department: History Department
Office Location: Heelan Hall 373
- Ph.D., University of Nebraska
- M.A., University of Nebraska
- B.A., University of Nebraska
Dr. Probasco has taught courses in World History, European History, and the Age of Discovery. While completing his graduate education at the University of Nebraska, he served as Instructor, Research Assistant, Teaching Assistant, and Assistant to the Director of the Medieval and Renaissance Studies Program. His research has appeared in several peer reviewed journals, including Renaissance Quarterly, The Journal of Military History, and Literature Compass. He has held fellowships at the John Carter Brown Library and the Huntington Library, and he has presented at academic conferences in the United States and England.
Dr. Probasco enjoys reading, travel, outdoor activities, and spending time with family.
- “Cartography as a Tool of Colonization: Sir Humphrey Gilbert’s 1583 Voyage to North America,” Renaissance Quarterly 67 (Summer 2014), 425-472.
- “Virgin America for Barren England: English Colonial History and Literature, 1575-1635,” Literature Compass 9 (June 2012): 406-419, http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10. 1111/lico.2012.9.issue-6/issuetoc.
- “The Role of Commoners and Print in Elizabethan England’s Acceptance of Firearms,” Journal of Military History 76 (April 2012): 343-372.
- “Queen Elizabeth’s Reaction to the St. Bartholomew’s Day Massacre,” in The Foreign Relations of Elizabeth I, ed. Charles Beem (New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2011), 77-100.
- “Sir Humphrey Gilbert, Elizabeth I, and the Anglo-Spanish Conflict,” Explorations in Renaissance Culture 37, 2nd Special Issue on Queen Elizabeth I (Summer 2011): 119-135.
Awards & Honors
- Moncado Prize from the Society of Military History for the outstanding article published in the April 2012 issue of The Journal of Military History, 2013.
- Charles H. Watts Memorial Fellowship for research in British and North American History and Literature, John Carter Brown Library, Providence, RI, 2013.
- Presidential Graduate Fellowship, University of Nebraska system, 2012-2013.
- Mayers Fellowship, Huntington Library, San Marino, CA, 2012.
- CoSIDA ESPN the Magazine Academic All-American, 2006-2007.
- NCAA Postgraduate Scholarship, 2006-2007.