A teaching endorsement in art allows the student to develop foundations of drawing, design, art history and theory, and enables the student to instill those foundations inside their future classroom.
In Briar Cliff's art program, students develop an appreciation and understanding of various art forms through in depth criticism, leading to artistic and intellectual growth. A strong foundation in art history and philosophy of art is also stressed. Courses introduce students to great artists and philosophies of the past and present.
Upon graduation, students majoring in art will be able to:
- Produce basic visual forms
- Use an electronic image portfolio of their works,
- Understand the history of western art
- Understand and apply media and techniques as an integral component of their art works
- Develop an understanding of contemporary and avant-garde issues in art
- Encounter critical and historical works of art
- Independently produce critical, creative and personal works of art using appropriate media and techniques
- Relate their work to critical theories and art history
- Pursue professional and career options in art such as graduate study in painting, sculpture, museum studies, architecture or other areas of special interest.