Associate Professor of Mass Communications; Chair of Mass Communications
Department: Department of Digital Media
Office Location: Heelan Hall 012
- University of South Dakota: Advanced studies, Adult and Higher Education
- Georgia Institute of Technology: Certificate in Multimedia
- Ball State University: MA, Journalism (photojournalism)
- California State University, Sacramento: BA, Government, Photography minor
Michael Crowley has been teaching for the Department of Digital Media at Briar Cliff since 1989. He has served as chairperson of the department, as advisor for The Cliff News student publication and as an editor for The Briar Cliff Review literary magazine.
I believe that each student is unique and learns in various ways. It is my role as a facilitator of learning, to create an environment where students feel comfortable and are willing to challenge themselves. I use various independent and collaborative methods and activities so students can find what works for them. It is my hope that students become pro-active, problem solving, independent learners now and after their traditional education ends. I believe learning is a life-long two way process, and that I become a better person from this experience.
- "The Spirit of Small Towns in Northwest Iowa," joint exhibition with Frank Breneisen, Sioux City Art Center; Morningside College Library; Northwestern College; Plymouth County Museum & Northern Iowa Community College. 1998-1999.
- "10-41: Begin Tour of Duty," documentary photography exhibit of a 24-hour ride-along with the Sioux City Police Department. Gallery 147 at Briar Cliff College, Law Enforcement Center of Sioux City, Morningside College. 1996-1997.
- "A Native American Celebration," Westmar University, Sioux City Public Library, Morningside College Library, Sioux City ARt Center. 1992, 1993 & Oct. 1999.
- The Briar Cliff Review, design director, photography editor, contributor
- The Catholic Globe, contributing photographer.
- Community Policing Exchange, contributing photographer. Summer 1996.
- St. Luke's Regional Medical Center calendar, contributing photographer. 1993.
- Locator Magazine, contributing photographer, Nov. 1992.
- "Old Media, New Media," keynote speaker, Missouri River Conference Journalismk Workshop, Sept. 2000.
- "Photography and Design for Yearbooks," Taylor Publishing Company Regional Yearbook Workshop, Sept. 1993.
- "Effective Photography for Yearbooks," Walsworth Publishing Company Regional Yearbook Workshoip, Sept. 1993.
- "Graphics in Today's Newspaper," Catholic Press Association Midwest Regional Convention, Oct. 1991.
Awards & Honors
SELECT AWARDS & HONORS
- ADDY Award, Best of Show, Interactive Media Division (websites), for briarcliff.edu website design. 1999-00.
- Gold Crown Award, Columbia Scholastic press Association for The Briar Clfif Review. 1993, 1994, 1998, 1999.
- Society of Professional Journalists
- Association for Educators in Journalism and Mass Communications
- Interim Director, Sioux City Art Center, 1992.