Mark L. McGlynn, MS, C-EP
Assistant Professor, Department of Kinesiology & Human Performance
Department: Department of Applied Health and Exercise Sciences
Office Location: Theatre 209
- BS, Exercise Physiology, Ohio University
- MS, Physiology of Exercise, Ohio University
Mr. McGlynn has a wealth of experience within the discipline of exercise science. Most recently Mr. McGlynn taught at Saginaw State University, University Center, MI and prior to that he taught at Alma College, Alma, MI and Ohio University, Athens, OH.
Beyond his academic experience, Mr. McGlynn has also served a year at the Cleveland Clinic as a Research Technologist within the Department of Biomedical Engineering implementing grant funded (NIH, NMSS, AHA) projects to research effective strategies to improve adherence to physical activity and health habits in a wide variety of disabled populations, as a technician for Provant Health Solutions, LLC., performing health assessments for corporations throughout Northeast Ohio.
Mr. McGlynn conducted stress testing, delivered educational sessions, and prescribed and monitored exercise as a research assistant for the nationally funded (NIH) Program ACTIVE. Program ACTIVE, was an intervention to determine the efficacy of exercise PLUS “talk therapy” (cognitive behavioral therapy) in patients with depression and diabetes. Interestingly, Mark’s role within Program ACTIVE was supervised by another new faculty member, Dr. Michael Kushnick - Department Chair of BCU’s Kinesiology and Human Performance Department.
For more information about Program ACTIVE, see: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3327507/
- Austin, A.W., Kushnick, M.R., Knutson, M.J., McGlynn, M.L., & Patterson, S.M. (in press). Resting plasma lipids and cardiovascular reactivity to acute psychological stress. Journal of Psychophysiology.
- Plow, M., Bethoux, F., McDaniel, C., McGlynn, M., Marcus, B. Randomized controlled pilot study of customized pamphlets to promote physical activity and symptom self-management in women with multiple sclerosis. Clinical Rehabilitation, 2014; 28(2):139-48.
- M.de Groot, M. Kushnick, T. Doyle, J. Merrill, M. McGlynn, J. Shubrook, F. Schwartz. A Model of Community-Based Behavioral Intervention for Depression in Diabetes: Program ACTIVE. Diabetes Spectrum, Winter Issue 2010.
- M.de Groot, M. Kushnick, T. Doyle, J. Merrill, M. McGlynn, J. Shubrook, F. Schwartz. Depression among Adults with Diabetes: Prevalence, Impact and Treatment Options. Diabetes Spectrum, Winter Issue 2010.
- B. Clark, T. Manini, R. Hoffman, P. Williams, M. Guiler, M. Knutson, M. McGlynn and M. Kushnick. Four-weeks of Blood Flow Restricted Resistance Exercise Does Not Alter Circulatory, Vascular or Never Conduction Properties in Young, Healthy Adults. Scandinavian Journal of Medicine and Science in Sports, March 2010.