Provost and Vice President of Academic Affairs
Oversee University Curriculum | Provide Visionary Leadership | Promote and Foster Excellence
The Provost and Vice President for Academic Aﬀairs oversees the University curriculum, faculty appointments, and other academically related areas at Briar Cliff University. The Provost provides visionary leadership to promote and foster excellence in all aspects of the University’s mission. This includes an unwavering commitment to increasing access to excellent higher education where members of the faculty advance discovery of public value and positively impact the health, culture, education.
Note: The primary accountabilities below are intended to describe the general content of and requirements of this position and are not intended to be an exhaustive statement of duties. Incumbents may perform all or some of the primary accountabilities listed below. Speciﬁc tasks or responsibilities will be documented in the incumbent’s performance objectives as outlined by the incumbent’s immediate supervisor.
Statement of Duties and Responsibilities:
The Provost and Vice President for Academic Aﬀairs has general charge and responsibility for the supervision and management of all academic colleges, schools, departments, and programs at a University, to include:
- Recommend all members of the faculty for appointment, promotion, tenure, retention, non-retention, or dismissal for cause.
- Planning, development, and evaluation of academic programs.
- Fostering the development of new teaching methods.
- Recommend additions and alterations to the physical plant that are needed for academic purposes.
- Coordinate internal administrative review and external regulatory or accreditation consideration of academic policies, plans and programs.
- Participates in the University Cabinet responsible for executive leadership of the University.
- Advises the President on all matters related to Academic Aﬀairs and university administration generally.
- Supervises all matters relating to curriculum and instruction, including outreach, evening and summer courses, scheduling, and overloads.
- Demonstrates a commitment to inclusive and collaborative leadership with a passion for serving a traditionally under-represented, majority Latino/a student population.
- Represents the University at public events in the absence of the President. Oversees faculty and academic staﬀ recruitment and development activities.
- Recommends to the President and, through her, to the Regents, all academic appointments, tenure, and promotion matters and ensures that such processes comply with the terms of faculty bargaining agreements.
- Oversees development and implementation of academic planning.
- Establishes priorities and plans for program development, faculty recruitment, and development. Provides academic input to institutional enrollment management eﬀComplies with all State and University policies.
- Coordinates periodic academic program review, accreditation, and works with Deans and Chairs in the review, study, and development of curriculum and in the improvement of instruction.
- Develops and ensures adherence to the academic aﬀairs budget and participates in the development of the budget for the University as a whole.
- Complies with all State and University policies.
- Performs other duties as may be assigned.
- An earned doctorate from an accredited institution of higher education.
- Ten years of successful full-time post-secondary teaching and administrative experience at the department head level or above in an institution of higher education.
- Expertise in developing/implementing processes and plans for institutional eﬀectiveness.
- Understanding of the governance and administrative processes used in publicly supported higher education institutions.
- Ability to communicate eﬀectively and to establish and maintain eﬀective professional relationships with others.
- Ability to represent the University in community and professional oﬀ-campus settings. Ability to work in a culturally diverse environment.
Briar Cliff University is an equal opportunity employer.
Back to Careers | More About Our Benefits