Part-Time Security Officer
Maintaining Security | Protecting Individuals and Property
This position is responsible for protecting individuals on campus property and maintaining the security of campus buildings, facilities, parking lots, walkways, and grounds of the University.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Act as first responder to all campus emergencies, medical and criminal, which could potentially be hazardous and/or life threatening.
- Enforce campus policies and procedures as may relate to safety and security concerns.
- Assist Residence and Student Life with enforcement of hall regulations and Code of Conduct Violations.
- Make regular inspection tours of the campus facilities noting unusual occurrences.
- Watch for trespassers, fire, water leaks, or other circumstances which could lead to loss or damage to property and equipment.
- Unlock buildings as scheduled for events and ensure all windows and doors are locked as scheduled.
- Observe and report hazardous conditions to management.
- Ensure inside and outside lights are turned on/off as required and informs supervisor when any electrical or mechanical system is malfunctioning.
- Ensure only authorized persons are admitted to the campus while on duty.
- Direct visitors and assists as necessary.
- Monitor parking lots and direct traffic and parking as necessary.
- Enforce campus traffic regulations including parking and speeding.
- Enforce campus policies including smoking, alcohol usage, and drug usage.
- Observe weather conditions on campus and report dangerous or unusual weather-related activity to management.
- Complete investigations of University violations, including viewing camera footage, talking with witnesses, and writing incident reports.
- Act as a liaison for the University with local law enforcement.
- Provide awareness education/information on an informal basis to students and employees during other duties.
- May be required to perform incidental custodial and maintenance duties as required.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Attends required staff meetings and other meetings and training courses as determined by the Director of Security.
- Contact Director of Security in any case not covered.
- Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- Associate’s degree (A.A.) or equivalent from a two-year college or technical school
- Six months to one-year related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and talk or hear. The employee is required to walk frequently. The employee is frequently required to stand. The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and taste or smell.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in outside weather conditions and is regularly exposed to extreme cold and extreme heat. The employee occasionally works near moving mechanical parts and is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, risk of electrical shock, and vibration.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Briar Cliff University is an equal opportunity employer.
Back to Careers | More About Our Benefits