Coordinate and Oversee Financial Operations | Establish Financial Policies and Standards | Develop Budgets
The controller assumes overall responsibility for the University controllership functions under the direction of the Vice President of Finance & Administration (VPFA). Directs, coordinates, and oversees the institutions’ various financial, accounting, and treasury operations. Establishes University financial policies and standards. Develops and manages annual budgets. Consults and collaborates with senior leaders across the institution.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Establishes and carries out the mission of the University's finance department; formulates goals and objectives for the department in accordance with the overall mission and goals of the institution.
- Oversees internal and external audits and preparation of audit reports.
- Establishes University financial policies and transactional standards, ensuring consistency with the University's mission and strategic plans and compliance with policies, State and Federal financial management laws and regulations, and generally accepted accounting standards.
- Designs, establishes, and maintains an organizational structure and staffing to accomplish the department’s overall goals and objectives effectively; directs and oversees the hiring, development, management, and evaluation of departmental staff.
- Through the VPFA and the University President, works to identify and resolve strategic financial issues with current or potential impact on the University.
- Reviews and analyzes major contractual obligations of the institution to ensure consistency with overall financial goals, objectives, and plans and compliance with University financial policies, procedures, and standards. Reviews & approves contracts, grants, and awards.
- Provides leadership and direction to the units which report to and/or are a part of the department, including establishing goals and objectives for Financial Services.
- Oversees major system development projects that impact financial reporting.
- Directs the activities associated with the security and investment of the University's assets and funds.
- Participates with the President, VPFA, and other senior leaders in institutional planning, policy development, and problem resolution.
- Directs and oversees the financial management and maintains fiscal oversight of the University's departments.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Finance, Management, or a related field is required. Master’s degree preferred.
- Five years of experience related to the responsibilities specified.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) certification in active and good standing is preferred.
- Knowledge of Ellucian/Datatel software is preferred.
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with various constituencies in a diverse community.
- Knowledge and understanding of a private university's mission, goals, organization, and operational/financial infrastructure.
- Highly developed and comprehensive financial management skills gained in a multifaceted institution.
- Knowledge of cash management.
- Strategic planning skills.
- Ability to develop, plan, and implement short- and long-range goals.
- Knowledge of investment strategies and techniques.
- Ability to review and assess the operational and financial viability of new and existing contractual arrangements and grant proposals.
- Ability to foster a cooperative work environment.
- Strong human resources development and management skills.
- Knowledge and understanding of institutional policies and procedures and the regulatory environment within which they operate.
- Knowledge of assets and funds management principles, methods, and techniques.
- Strong analytical, critical thinking, and decision-making skills.
- Comprehensive knowledge and understanding of Federal and State financial laws, regulations, and operating guidelines pertaining to public institutions of higher education and academic medical centers.
- Organizational planning, structuring, and staffing skills.
- Attention to detail.
Briar Cliff University is an equal opportunity employer.
Back to Careers | More About Our Benefits