Navigator | Student Support | Outreach | Case Management
Support Briar Cliff University students in achieving their goal of college graduation through in-person navigation, advising and support. The Compass Navigator/Advisor will provide intensive case management for students through continuous outreach, communication, and connection to resources.
Navigators/Advisors at Briar Cliff University will serve our new students in a holistic capacity to provide support and guidance as students navigate their academic life on campus. Navigators serve as liaisons across departments to facilitate a successful and meaningful student experience. Advisors work one on one and in small group settings with students to develop academic plans and track students’ journey toward degree completion. The Compass Navigator/Advisor will serve as a primary navigator for assigned academic departments. This team member will be visible on campus and work to develop students into motivated and engaged learners who embody the Franciscan tradition of service in their higher education and post-graduation pursuits.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- First year students are organized by major and assigned to a Navigator accordingly for navigation support. Navigator will be assigned to specific academic disciplines and support students accordingly.
- Conduct one-on-one coaching, support, and case management of assigned BCU students.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with BCU students.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with key stakeholders across campus.
- Ensure students have the resources needed to be successful in their college coursework.
- Partner with university and community resources and make student referrals to those resources as needed.
- Refer students to appropriate campus resources.
- Serve as primary advising contact for a caseload of first year students.
- Work with students one on one to address their individual needs for achieving college graduation.
- Maintain and update student records on a regular basis using Ellucian Colleague and early alert software systems.
- Lead 2 learning communities and teach 2 sections for first year seminar, actively communicating and collaborating with faculty affiliated with the communities.
- Maintain a full understanding of the general education and degree specific program requirements to properly advise students.
- Use proactive advising techniques when necessary to work with students struggling with academic and/or personal issues, and understand the various campus resources available to refer students to the appropriate area for support.
- Actively engage in university student orientation programs.
- Lead and coordinate supplemental programming, BCU ACHIEVE, during summer or as requested by departments.
- Make recommendations to policy or process improvement that will yield improved student success and outcomes.
- Represent Compass and the student experience on committees and initiatives as needed.
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the President, Vice President for Academic Affairs, or Director of Compass.
QUALIFICATIONS and SKILLS:
- Master's degree required
- Excellent technical skills, experience with a retention software solution a plus
- Experience advising students and/or working in the higher education environment
- Strong verbal, written, and interpersonal skills
- Effective time management, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills
- An understanding of the dynamics and pressures of college students and a strong interest in actively engaging to support student success
- Holds frequent face to face, on-line, phone and email contact with students, faculty, administrators, and staff.
- Uses basic office equipment including computers, phones, printers, and copy machines.
- Willing to be flexible in his/her schedule, some evenings and weekends will be necessary to facilitate programming and meet student needs.
- Must be willing to work in a community-focused, small, private, religiously affiliated, liberal arts institution.
Briar Cliff University is an equal opportunity employer.