Assistant Director for Multicultural Programs & Academic Navigator
Serve Students to Provide Support and Guidance | Coordinate and Lead Multicultural Programs
Professional academic advisors and navigator at Briar Cliff University will serve our new students in a holistic capacity to provide support and guidance as students navigate their first year on campus. Advisors will work one on one and in small group settings with students to develop academic plans and track students’ journey toward degree completion. Advisors will serve as liaisons across departments to facilitate a successful and meaningful student experience. The Assistant Director will also serve a primary navigator for assigned academic departments. In addition, this team member is responsible for coordinating and leading multicultural programs. The team member will be visible on campus and work to develop students in to motivated and engaged learners who embody the Franciscan tradition of service in their higher education and post-graduation pursuits.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Serve as primary advising contact for approximately 40 first year students.
- Lead 2 learning communities and teach 2 sections for first year seminar, actively communicating and collaborating with faculty affiliated with the communities.
- Utilize pro-active advising techniques to engage students in dialogue through formal and informal interactions.
- Maintain and update student records on a regular bases using Ellucian Colleague and Starfish software systems.
- Maintain a full understanding of general education and degree specific program requirements in order to properly advise students.
- Use intrusive advising techniques when necessary to work with students struggling with academic and/or personal issues, and understand the various campus resources available to refer students to the appropriate area for support.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with academic departments in order to best guide students.
- Educate students on services, policies, and procedures.
- Collaborate across campus with other departments as means of best serving student needs.
- Understand and advocate for the Briar Cliff University mission and values and how first year experience programming supports the broader campus community.
- Fulfill a collateral assignment within the department to include, but not limited to: student workshops, parent programs, mentoring, service learning, and leadership activities, etc.
- Positively represent the department of Compass across campus through participation in committees, programs, and service opportunities.
- Lead campus multicultural programming efforts to include cultural heritage education, professional development and workshop presentations, creating community for underrepresented students, advocate for campus improvement that will positively impact students of diverse populations.
- All work is focused on improving the retention and graduation rates of BCU students.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- Master's required
- Experience advising students and/or working in the higher education environment
- Strong verbal, written, and interpersonal skills
- Effective time management, critical thinking, and problem solving skills
- An understanding of the dynamics and pressures of first year students and a strong interest in actively engaging to support student success
Briar Cliff University is an equal opportunity employer.
Back to Careers | More About Our Benefits