The Honors Program at Briar Cliff is not about getting high-achieving students to do more work, read more books, write more papers, and take more courses. It is about enhancing the educational experience of exceptional students through community-building activities and challenging and exciting academic programming. We emphasize the quality of the experience over the quantity of the workload.
Why should I join the Honors Program?
- The opportunity to take "honors-only" courses offered each term
- The chance to work one-on-one with distinguished faculty members
- Register early for classes (if you are taking an Honors course that term)
- Serve on the Honors Executive Board
- Travel internationally and domestically with other Honors students
- Participate in Honors service projects that have a positive impact on our community, region, and world
- Participate in special social events
- Receive recognition on your transcript and at graduation for completing the Honors Program
How do I qualify for the Honors Program?
First-year students enrolling at BCU need to have an ACT score of 26 or higher to qualify for the Honors Program. If you are a current BCU student or a transfer student, you need to complete 10 hours at BCU and have a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher. If you meet these qualifications, complete an Honors Program Application Form and submit it to the Honors Program director.
What are Honors-only courses?
Theyare special courses offered each term to members of the Honors Program. Honors courses have a smaller class size compared to regular classes and are structured to specifically meet the needs of Honors students. Honors courses are not meant to be extremely difficult or lower your GPA. Instead, Honors courses are designed to provide Honors students with an opportunity to learn in a seminar style, participate in discussions and hands-on activities, and work one-on-one with faculty members.
Honors courses offered for the upcoming Spring term include: