Service Morning with the Sisters of St. Francis
Saturday, September 27
Saint Francis Center
Commemorate the 150th anniversary of the Sisters of St. Francis by volunteering three hours with other Briar Cliff students, employees and friends, at one of several Siouxland agencies and organizations that need your help.
Sign up below »
Breakfast starts at 8 a.m. in the cafeteria (costs $8 cash or use your student ID/BCU meal plan). Following breakfast, head to the St. Francis Center at 8:45 a.m. for prayer, orientation and your service assignment.
Please RSVP by Tuesday, Sept. 23.
SERVICE WORK SITES
- Bargain Center: Sort through donations.
- Casa de Paz: Read, play cards and games with residents.
- Clare Guest House: Wash windows and de-cobweb the basement ceiling.
- Crittenton Center: Paint two bathrooms.
- Stella Sanford Daycare Center: Rake leaves.
- Habitat for Humanity: Dust, greet customers, sort and organize donations. Mow, trim and cleanup property.
- Holy Spirit Retirement Home: Make crafts and visit with residents. Make a "values" wall quilt (each table has a quilt piece to paint).
- Mary Treglia Community House: Spanish speakers are needed to help clients fill out passport and consular ID applications during the Mexican Consulate's visit to Mary Treglia.
- Mayflower Church-Calico Kids Preschool: Help with landscaping/yardwork. Create "play centers," clean toys, assist with free community breakfast.
- Mission of the Messiah: Work in the referral center and sort clothing.
- Salvation Army Thrift Store: Sort, hang, tag clothes to put out on floor for resale.
- Sunrise Retirement Community: Visit, play games, take wheelchair-bound residents on walks outside in the community park and/or for golf cart rides.
- Trinity Heights: Trim, pull weeds, rake the outside grounds (bring gloves). Wash windows on the inside of buildings.
- Perry Creek Cleanup: Pick up trash and help clean along the Perry Creek Trail that runs through Sioux City.
ABOUT THE SISTERS OF ST. FRANCIS
The Sisters of St. Francis of Dubuque have had a presence at Briar Cliff University since opening the school in 1930. Now, in 2014, the Sisters of St. Francis are celebrating the 150th anniversary of the beginning of their congregation in Germany and the many ministries and women who have been part of their journey of service.