Briar Cliff Transfer Scholarship
- AMOUNT: Up to $10,000 per academic year
- REQUIREMENTS: For first-time, full-time, daytime transfer students. You must have a minimum 2.0 GPA from previous coursework. To be considered, apply to BCU »
- RENEWABLE: Yes (must meet Satisfactory Academic Progress Standards).
- DEADLINE: None
Community College Graduate Scholarship
- AMOUNT: $10,000 award (Cannot be combined with other scholarships)
- REQUIREMENTS: Must have an Associate of Arts, Associate of Applied Science or Associate of Science degree, and a 2.5 cumulative GPA.
- RENEWABLE: For a second year, with a 2.0 GPA
- DEADLINE: TBD
Download Application (PDF)
- AMOUNT: Based on head coach's decision
- REQUIREMENTS: Remain academically eligible in the following sports: Men’s and women’s basketball, cross country, golf, soccer, track and field, men's football, men's baseball, men's wrestling, women's softball and women's volleyball.
- INTERVIEW: Not required
- RENEWABLE: Yes (based on participation)
- For more info, visit the BCU athletic website »
Fine Arts Scholarships (Art, Music & Theatre)
- AMOUNT: Awards vary based on department chairperson's decision
- REQUIREMENTS: Audition or portfolio
- RENEWABLE: Yes (based on program guidelines)
- For more info, contact the Financial Aid Office »
Roy G. Carver Charitable Trust Scholarship
- AMOUNT: $7,600 (average amount, awards vary)
- REQUIREMENTS: Available to Iowa residents who are currently full-time (12-hour) students at participating community college or university, and will be starting the fall semester of their junior year
- RENEWABLE: Yes (requires re-application before senior year)
- DEADLINE: April 1, 2015
BCU Annual and Endowed Scholarships
Briar Cliff recognizes students who have compiled outstanding records of scholastic achievement, displayed exceptional leadership qualities and/or developed remarkable talents. These awards will be given at the discretion of the appropriate department. The deadline to apply is April 1, 2015.
Outside scholarship sources are also available, and students are encouraged to apply for them. New scholarship opportunities are posted every day on the Bishop Mueller Library scholarships page, so check back often!
Iowa Tuition Grant
The Iowa Tuition Grant is available to qualified Iowa residents who are enrolled in at least three credit hours at a private institution in Iowa. The ITG is based on need, and students must have filed a FAFSA at the federal processors by July 1 to be considered.
Maximum amount for 2014-15 school year: $4,550
Federal Pell Grant
The Federal Pell Grant provides grants to full-time and part-time undergraduate students at any eligible college or university, and the money does not have to be repaid. Apply by completing a FAFSA. The award may vary according to the number of credit hours you are enrolled. You must be enrolled for at least 12 hours per semester to receive a full award.
Maximum amount for 2014-15 school year: $5,730
Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant
The Federal SEOG program is for students who show exceptional financial need. Students who are Pell Grant eligible have highest priority status.
Maximum amount for 2014-15 school year: $4,000
Federal TEACH Grant
The Federal TEACH Grant is for education majors that will be teaching in a low-income school and in a high need field of study. It is open to undergraduate and graduate students alike.
Maximum amount for 2014-15 school year: $4,000
Federal Direct Loans*
A Federal Direct Loan is a long-term, fixed rate loan made to students by the U.S. Department of Education. They come in two categories: subsidized and unsubsidized. Typically, every student who files a FAFSA is eligible to borrow a Federal Direct Loan. A student must be enrolled at least half-time (six credits) to be eligible to receive one. The student has the option to make interest payments during the in-school period, or to allow the accrued interest to be capitalized (added on) to the principal balance. Interest rate is currently 3.86% for both subsidized and unsubsidized loans.
Maximum amount for 2014-15 school year: $5,500 (freshmen), $6,500 (sophomores), $7,500 (juniors and seniors)
Federal Direct PLUS Loan*
A Federal Direct PLUS Loan is an excellent option for families who need to borrow beyond the Federal Direct Loan limits. This low-interest loan can be used by parents to borrow on behalf of dependent undergraduates. A credit check is required and performed by the U.S. Department of Education. The interest rate is fixed at 6.41%. Eligibility is limited to the cost of attendance (as determined by Briar Cliff) minus any other financial aid the student is receiving. To apply for a Federal Direct PLUS Loan, please contact the Financial Aid Office.
*NOTE: To obtain federal loans, students must accept the loan(s) on their financial aid award letter. All first-time borrowers are required to complete a Master Promissory Note (MPN) on the federal student loan website and an entrance counseling session in order to borrow funds through the Direct Loan Program.
Eligible students can earn extra financial aid with a part-time job on campus. Awards are based on calculated need, as determined by information provided on the FAFSA. Students generally work between 5-10 hours per week to earn work study awards, which range from $500 to $3,000 per academic year.
Every year, Briar Cliff hosts a job fair during the first week of classes. Students may sign up and visit with interested employers at that point in time, or apply any time during the year as opportunities arise. Work study opportunities are posted on BCU's College Central Network.
Employment earnings are paid twice each month, directly to the student for hours worked. This aid will not show as credit on the tuition bill, since students are allowed to spend this money any way they see fit.
Private loans should never be your primary funding source unless you have exhausted all of your other options. More info on private loans ».