ABOUT THE PROGRAM
Our "Leadership and Learning" specialization focuses on current trends in moving expert teachers into teacher leader roles.
Courses are taught in sequence through online delivery and include active discussion, self-reflection and inquiry.
The program is aligned to the Iowa Task Force on Teacher Compensation, the Iowa Teaching Standards, the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards and the National Standards for Teacher Leaders.
With cohorts starting in June and completion of your degree in 18 months, you will be able to advance your career, move across the salary schedule and apply for teacher leader roles in your school. There is no entrance exam and no thesis.
WHAT YOU'LL LEARN ...
The MAE: Leadership & Learning program focuses on practical application of learning to your classroom:
- Instructional leadership
- 21st century initiatives
- Educational technology
- Democratic principles
WHAT YOU'LL DO ...
As a teacher leader, you will be able to:
- Advance your career as a model, master or lead teacher
- Receive higher pay for increased responsibilities
- Serve as an instructional coach or mentor
- Act as a department, grade level or committee chair
- Facilitate school improvement initiatives
- Develop and deliver professional development
- Teach AEA and college level courses
- Join a global network of education advocates
- Be recognized for your unique talent and skill