Math Skills Assessment
All new Briar Cliff students are assessed for mathematical skills in order to help determine which math courses are appropriate for their current abilities. The assessment procedures are as follows:
- Students whose Math ACT score is 28 or above may register for any math course for which they meet the prerequisites. The prerequisites for each course are indicated in the course descriptions.
- Students whose Math ACT score is 21 or above may register for any math course for which they meet the prerequisites, after consultation with their academic advisor and/or the mathematics department chairperson.
- Any student who is seeking a Briar Cliff degree and whose Math ACT score is 20 or below must be assessed for entry level skills in arithmetic reasoning and elementary algebra. The assessment test is administered at the beginning of the academic year by appointment (contact the mathematics department to schedule one). Students who have already passed a college mathematics course are exempt from taking an assessment test.
- Students who pass the elementary algebra skills component (69% or higher) may register for MATH 111 or an appropriate higher level course after consultation with their academic advisors.
- Students who pass only the arithmetic skills component (69% or higher) should register for MATH 10 (Basic Algebra).
- Students who pass neither component should register for the for MATH 1A (Fundamentals of Mathematics).
For more information, contact the Department of Mathematics.