Professional Development School
The Professional Development School (PDS) is a collaborative relationship between the Briar Cliff University Teacher Preparation Program and Leeds Elementary School (part of the Sioux City Community School District).
"I think one of the best ways to become an effective teacher is through long term experiences as well as trial and error. In the PDS model, the BCU teacher candidates are able to gain experience with teaching students in whole group, small group, and individual settings in an environment in which they feel safe. The cooperating teacher is able to give the teacher candidate feedback without the teacher candidate feeling threatened or evaluated. The teacher candidates are able to gain experience in teaching academic areas as well as practice classroom management techniques."
— Leeds Elementary teacher
During their junior year, elementary education majors will participate in the PDS for the field experiences assigned with five elementary content courses:
The purpose of the Professional Development School is to:
- Create a collaborative relationship between the Briar Cliff University Teacher Preparation Program and Leeds Elementary School to build and support educational leadership and professional practice for all participants (candidates, cooperating teachers, and university faculty).
- Provide teacher candidates enrolled in their elementary methods courses during their junior year the opportunity to put theory into practice in a classroom setting.
Based upon the Standards of the National Association of Professional Development Schools, the standards of the Briar Cliff PDS are to:
- Further the education profession and the broader community
- Commit to the preparation of teacher candidates
- Provide ongoing and reciprocal professional development for all participants
- Share commitment to innovation and reflection on effective teaching by all participants
- Engage in investigation and analysis of effective teaching by all participants
- Create an articulation agreement delineating the roles and responsibilities of all involved
- Provide for ongoing governance, reflection, and collaboration by all participants
- Identify the roles and responsibilities of all participants
- Share resources