The biology of organisms which have traditionally been considered plants
Green plants and algae are indispensable for life on earth. Through the process of photosynthesis they provide oxygen and energy for the rest of the biosphere. Plant roots stabilize the soil and extract nutrients for organisms higher in the food chain. Plants are also a primary source of shelter, clothing, and medicine for human populations. Fungi are essential in recycling nutrients. Any Briar Cliff student specializing in Biology or Environmental Science must have a thorough understanding of this essential group of organisms.
Botany is vital.
This course will cover
- major groups such as fungi, algae, bryophytes, gymnosperms, and flowering plants
- plant tissues and structures such as roots, stems, leaves, fruits, and flowers
- significant physiological processes such as the transport of water and sugars, tropisms, photoperiodism, photosynthesis, and the action of plant hormones
- important topics such as medical botany and taxonomy
Grade based on
- three lecture tests
- lab exams and quizzes
- lab drawings
- growth project
BIOL 212 - General Botany - Details
|• Environmental Science|
|• Medical Laboratory Science|
— Nothing scheduled —
- Local food movement sprouting at Briar Cliff
Mar 22, 2015
I'm studying pre-medicine at BCU. My dream is to become a developmental-behavioral pediatrician.